Post on January 1, 2021 by ultimateauadmin
Having your car’s engine stall can be a scary and dangerous experience. While MINIs are designed to high standards and are generally reliable vehicles, it is always possible that they may break down.
Stalling engines can be caused by a wide variety of factors, and that’s why the MINI experts in Tolleson are sharing some of their expertise on what contributes to them.
What Happens When the Engine Stalls
The engine stalls when it suddenly stops operating, resulting in a total loss of power to your vehicle. You will lose both power steering and power braking when this happens, which makes engine stalling extremely dangerous.
Your MINI can stall at either idle or while you are driving depending on the underlying cause of the stall. Generally, a stall is usually the result of not enough air, energy, fuel or electric spark being delivered to the engine, or comes after some mechanical failure throughout the vehicle.
Six Causes of Stalling Engine
There are just about as many causes of a stalling engine as there are parts in a car. However, we’ll go over some of the most common ones so that you can have a ballpark idea of what may have caused your MINI’s engine to stop running.
- Manual Transmission Errors: While MINI stopped production of manual transmissions in 2020, some older models have a manual option. If you’re a stick shift driver, an engine stall may have been caused by an error on your part (which you’ve probably experienced before, and shouldn’t come as much of a surprise). Make sure to engage the clutch when switching gears.
- Empty Fuel Tank: This is probably the most common cause of a stalled car. Keep an eye on your fuel gauge and pay attention to the low fuel warning light to make sure that your MINI has enough fuel to function.
- Bad Fuel Mixture: A car needs fuel and air in a certain proportion to create the combustion to power the vehicle. If that mixture is out of proportion, either too rich or too lean, then your engine may stall out.
- Dead Battery: While you’re more likely to notice that your battery is dead because you can’t even start the engine, an old battery that’s overworking the alternator may die in the middle of a drive, causing you to stall out.
- Faulty Alternator: Because the alternator charges the battery in your vehicle, its failure means the battery’s failure, and this spells a no-start for your car. You can spot a faulty alternator before it kills the battery altogether. Some classic warning signs are dimming headlights and a battery not charging dashboard light.
- Clogged Air Filter: As contaminants, dirt, and debris build up on the air filter, it may become clogged enough that airflow to the engine is restricted, impeding the engine’s ability to operate.
What to Do If the Engine Stalls
It’s not a situation you hope to find yourself in, but that’s exactly the reason that you need to be prepared. If your engine stalls while you’re driving, push down on the foot brake (be prepared to push hard, as power braking may be lost) and pull over gently to the side of the road. If your car stalls while idling, you may not be able to get your car to the side of the road. In this case, turn on your hazard lights and be safe while you call for a tow.
Get in touch with a trained mechanic or someone with jumper cables who may be able to help jumpstart your car if a dead battery or other electrical problem is to blame. Take your car to a trusted mechanic shop to sort the issue out and get it resolved as soon as possible.
Where to Find Reliable MINI Service in Phoenix
Ultimate European Repair is your one-stop shop for all things MINI, including identifying and fixing an engine that stalls. Our certified technicians will do all that they can to get you back in the driver’s seat as quickly as possible.
We proudly serve customers from Goodyear, Buckeye, Avondale, Phoenix and Peoria, Arizona. Drivers of BMW, Mini, VW, and Audi trust our experienced staff to take care of their vehicles, and we hope that you will too. Call us today to speak to our friendly staff.
Posted in MINI Repair