Post on September 19, 2021 by ultimateauadmin
Although BMW owners do not want anything to ever fail on their vehicle, the digital dashboard is high on the list of electronic components you need to function properly for safety reasons. If your digital dashboard or instrument cluster fails, you will find yourself unable to access your speed, tire pressure, fuel measurements, and other important gauges on your display when you are driving.
Symptoms of Your Digital Dashboard Failing
Typically, it will be pretty obvious when you start to have issues with your digital dashboard or your instrument cluster. You will notice your dashboard lights or digital dashboard flickering or glitching in some way. This is a solid warning that something is malfunctioning. It’s best to bring your BMW in for service before your dashboard stops working and goes dark. Contact our technicians for convenient repairs.
Causes of Digital Dashboard Failure
When something goes wrong in your BMW, you might want to not only fix it but understand how the problem happened and how to prevent it in the future. Some of the repairs our vehicles need are avoidable, whereas others are caused by normal use and natural wear and tear. The best way to avoid most surprise repairs is by getting regular maintenance, inspections, and checkups on your BMW.
Below are the most common causes of a failing or broken digital dashboard in your BMW:
- Blown Fuse: One simple issue could be that one of your fuses is bad and needs to be replaced. This is typically a wear and tear issue that you may not have been able to prevent.
- Bad Sensors: When it is not your entire dashboard but only a partial failure, the issue could be bad sensors. These electronic sensors could cause glitches on your dashboard display or problems with other things such as your engine light illuminating, cruise control glitches, and cabin power loss.
- Loose Connectors: Sometimes the problem is that the connectors have become unplugged or loose. Your car technician can check to see if this is the problem. Your BMW’s battery needs to be disconnected before the connectors can be plugged back in or tightened, due to safety issues.
- Wiring Problems: Another issue could be that there is a problem with the wiring in your vehicle. This is something that needs a professional to diagnose and fix properly. We will need to perform a circuit trace to figure out exactly where the problem is so we can repair it correctly.
- Stripped Gear: If one of the issues is with the odometer or speedometer, the problem could be due to a stripped gear or a broken cable.
- Overloaded Circuit: Sometimes the issue is an overloaded circuit. For instance, if your car has a faulty voltage regulator, it could send too much power to the instrument cluster, and your instruments will seem to act erratic
- Grounding Issue: This is an infrequent cause of this problem, but if you or your mechanic can not find any other issue, you may want to ask if there is a grounding issue with the car. Ask them to check when they can not find any other cause.
- Computer Faults: Sometimes the problems we face in our cars have nothing to do with the physical parts, but instead, a software or hardware glitch or malfunction. Now that most cars rely heavily on the computer to run correctly, it is possible that the computer can be the issue.
- Defective Instrument Cluster: Finally, the issue could be a defective instrument cluster. Although BMWs are well made, and the manufacturers follow exact design protocols, sometimes the problem was caused before you purchased your vehicle. Faulty parts do slip through the final inspection process. Although this is rare, it certainly can happen.
As you can see, most of the issues that could have caused a problem with your digital dashboard in your BMW are not really preventable. The best way to avoid problems with any vehicle is to follow the recommended maintenance and care plan for your car.
Contact Our Professionals at Ultimate European Repair
If you are experiencing problems with your BMW, contact us, and our master technicians will help. Avoid the hassles of taking your car to a dealership, and trust us to perform excellent services at affordable costs. We serve clients from Goodyear, Buckeye, Avondale, Phoenix, and Peoria, AZ. Ultimate European Repair is your service center for BMW, Mini, VW, and Audi brands. Contact us today for help!
* BMW Digital Dashboard image credit goes to: JJFarquitectos.
Posted in BMW Repair